Monday, July 9, 2012

Macro Monday - {Tampa Bay Photographer}

So have you ever noticed these cobweb type things all over your yard in the morning?  I have and have often wanted to go out and see what exactly they were, but never got around to it until...now.  And, up close, they look pretty much look like what they look like from far...spider webs...but more beautiful because covered with dew drops they looked more like strings of pearls criss crossing the blades of grass.  Up close the drops reflected the geometric weave of the web and left this really cool hexagon shaped design reflecting inside the drops.

I did a little research on line to try and figure out what these things are.  And it looks like it may be from grass spiders which don't have sticky spider webs, but create webs that have a funnel like opening in the middle that draws their prey down into the hole.  I didn't happen to see any spiders while laying in the wet morning grass, but now that I know what they are...I will be on the watch!

Morning grass spider webs weren't the only macro treat this morning because after I had finished downloading the photos of the webs, my husband came in and asked if I still had the macro out.  Well of course!  Hanging out just outside my office window was the cutest tree frog.  He lives behind this metal art piece we have up on the wall by the front door and don't really get to see him out.  But...there he was and he was great about not taking off while I got super close to him.  I can only imagine that he thought the camera lens was a giant animal's eye staring him down!  I could see his little throat moving in and out very quickly.  I love the green in his skin as well.

















11 comments:

  1. Ohh LOVE those shots! Especially the last one of the frog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are amazing! Love the spider webs, that is an awesome perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are fabulous!!! When I first got my macro lens, I was outside every day hunting down webs and dew drops! Love that little froggie:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great images! The spider web ones are fantastic! Love how the dew drops capture the light!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the beads of dew on the spiderwebs! Soooo cool! And that last shot of the frog?! PRICELESS!! That needs to be a screen saver :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWESOME!! But now I have the heebie jeebies LOL I hate spiders!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make nature look so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's so crazy you blogged about this today because I was in my yard just this morning looking at the spider webs with dew drops. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are really talented with the macro photography! So interesting about the webs...and that last photo of the frog looks like he stopped to smile for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I LOVE the web/dew ones the BEST! You have such a brilliant eye!

    ReplyDelete
  11. totally jealous! these rock!!! love the water drops!

    ReplyDelete