Monday, May 7, 2012

Macro Monday - {Tampa Photographer}

I want to dedicate this week's column to my high school friend Antionette Lombardi Cuellar.  Antionette lost her battle with breast cancer on Friday.  She was an amazing, strong, gracious and happy person, even through her struggle.  I lost touch with Antionette after high school and only reconnected a few years ago through Facebook.  A group of girls (now women) from my graduation class meet once a month for Girls Night Out.  I saw a post about one of the get togethers and now that I was living in Tampa again, I of course wanted to join.  Antionette was one of the group of wonderful women that came out to the GNO's and we caught up with all that was going on, including her battle with cancer.  She always smiled, was always positive and always hopeful.  Looking at the comments on her page, so many people looked at her as a hero, someone inspiring you to be the best you can be and to look at life's challenges as a blessing.   She said just that the last time I saw her at a Cancer walk in October.  She said that she believe that she was blessed to be able to educate others about the importance of getting annual examinations, that God picked her because of her "ability" to talk a lot!   What grace.   Her message, that I want to tell you all for her, is not to be afraid to get your mammogram, don't be afraid to do monthly exams.  The fear stopping you from getting an early diagnosis is more deadly than anything.

I am so sorry for the GNO's I missed because I was too busy to make time to go.  It is time that I missed with Antionette and the rest of an amazing gathering of Tampa Catholic women who are so strong and supportive of each other.  I know it's cliche, but it's the truth...Life is short and we don't know what is around the corner.  Make the most of every day.

I shot this week's images a few weeks ago when my youngest daughter was going to sing the National Anthem at her high school baseball team's game.  While waiting, I of course had my camera in hand and my macro, I noticed the late afternoon sun against the chain link fence that was across the back of the bleachers.  I thought it was intriguing, the lines and how they twisted around each other.  So, I photographed it.  I didn't think at the time that those lines intersecting and connecting the length of the fence would today remind me of Antionette and our GNO group.  We are linked to our dear friends and family forever in our hearts.  And we are stronger because of it.






11 comments:

  1. Beautiful, heartfelt post and beautiful metaphor/images. I'm very sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post. I am sorry to hear of your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing. Beutiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done and wonderful, personal post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great post and great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very beautiful post. Your friend sounds like a wonderful person, and definitely was given a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful post, Lori! I love your macro Mondays, but the significance behind this one was very heartfelt. Thank you for sharing about your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful post and tribute to such a beautiful and inspiring woman. It is because of googling details for her funeral that I came across your blog, and have now had the opportunity to view your beautiful photographs. Even in death she is still connecting people together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Antionette was an amazing woman. Her service yesterday was a beautiful tribute to her spirit, love and strength. I'm glad you found the page and so happy to hear from you.

      Delete
  9. I love your Macro Mondays, and these images as well. I am sorry for your loss...

    ReplyDelete